Wednesday, February 3, 2010

(NOT) Wanted: Date for Valentine's Day

I hate this time of the year because of the TV commercials, and due to my newfound job-less status, I am seeing more commercials than ever. All the commercials are about losing weight or finding love, which makes me feel terrible and single as I sat on the couch scarfing down ice-cream. I should be relishing the fact that the super bowl is 3 days away and my team is there for the first time, or that it's basketball season and Kentucky is good for the first time in forever (yeah, I've liked them for years now, not sure why). Instead, I'm caught up on the fact that I will be single on Valentine's Day, again.

I have never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. I am not even sure what having a boyfriend for V-Day means. I'm assuming it means flowers or chocolates or hyped up dinner reservations. For some reason, for me relationship season is between September and December. Almost all my relationships have an expiration date in December, whether it be due to a change in colleges or pressure from the holiday season who knows.

The good part about being single on Valentines Day is the following: as a male, it's cheaper. As a female, there's less pressure. You get to choose who to go home with. Two years ago I did sake bombing with my girls. Last year I went to Das Klub III (UVA law school's Feb Club annual Euro Trash party). It's far better being single than having a significant other who I considered "okay" at best. It would be great to have a guy to spend time with on VD, even if that's staying in and watching a basketball game on the couch and giggling and stealing kisses, but that's an ideal day for me no matter what, and I don't think we need a Hallmark holiday to get those kinds of magical days/dates.

I think what I'm trying to say is, it's okay to be single for Valentines Day. Much better than settling for someone you don't want to spend $100 for dinner and flowers for or spreading your legs for and wondering whats on your todo list for the day while someone is in between. Settling is worse than being alone.


I just got asked by an old friend who's currently traveling around for me to join in traveling around South America this fall. I asked her what I should plan on needing should I choose to join her. Her response (and I quote): passport, visas, $$$$, condoms.


You see, that's the fabulous life of a girl single, unemployed, and with everything to look forward to in the future and no restrictions. With any luck, come September I'll either choose to stay in New Orleans because of love: for my job and the city, or for a man and the city, or travel around like a vagabond without a care in the world. Either option seems pretty freaking fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment